A Little History About Us
The Cape Henlopen Senior Center has thrived since its incorporation in 1966 and membership of 30. We have experienced tremendous growth and many changes during the past 50 years. After having been housed in the American Legion on King Charles Street, our Board of Directors felt that it was time to have a senior center that we could call our own. In 1980 we launched a building fund campaign. It was one of the most aggressive and successful campaigns in lower Delaware. With the help of many, including the Division of Aging, the State, Crystal Foundation, members, friends and the City of Rehoboth Beach who leased us the property on Martins Lawn we raised $300,000. In October of 1981 with a membership of 1100 we opened the doors to a new multi-purpose senior center. In 2007 we were fortunate to have five acres of land donated to us to build a brand new facility. Due to the economy and money restraints we were unable to build. Our goal for the future is to build a state of the art senior center with a multipurpose room to seat 300 to 400 and a swimming pool.
Within the Rehoboth, Lewes and surrounding area, the senior population is growing with people 50 years and older. Our membership is now 1230 members residing in Rehoboth, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, Milford, Bethany, Ocean View, Longneck, and Millsboro areas.
With many people retiring early, we have already felt the senior population explosion with inadequate space for some of the senior center activities; therefore we must plan for the future to reach goals and objectives to enhance the quality of life of our senior citizens by adding life to years and years to life.